Friday, June 02, 2023

Because I have been recording programs for 2RPH from home, I have been struck, as you might well imagine, by the sheer amount of ambient noise in the background. I live in a township in the Blue Mountains, a city within a National Park. So you might also expect a greater amount of peace and quiet, relative to our Sydney cousins just down the mountain.

It might the case and if so, then Sydney must be a aural nightmare! From my back garden I can hear all manner of noisy birds (don't get me started on cockatoos!) but they can be mostly screened out of the recording afterwards. Then there are power tools - mowers, edgers, whipper snippers, chain saws, mulchers, leaf blowers, drills, pneumatic hammers and so on. They are a constant almost seven days a week, from 7am in the morning.

What we gained in convenience, we lost in our daily commune with the natural world, which beckons us to listen, beyond the baleful cacophony.

No comments: