Monday, July 08, 2024

My wife Ann loves new things. She doesn't quite get the Australian penchant for renovation, fixing up or repairing. It might be a Thai thing too, because I have noticed a similar pattern amongst her friends and relations.

Case in point is the air-fryer, which has served us reliably for five years now. One part of a holding basket had begun to wear. She wanted a new air-fryer. I found the spare part online, ordered and fitted it.

'But the machine is getting old,' she said, wistfully anticipating just how shiny and updated a new model would look.

Another case in point. The kettle. Another stalwart that had lasted 15 years. The auto-off function was broken and the lid had become stiff, but other than that it was a fantastic kettle. This was something that I could not get spare parts for or fix myself. So sadly, I had to retire it and buy a new one, which almost certainly will not last 15 years.

She was overjoyed to see it, of course.

No comments: