Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Swain Song

Last Sunday I sang with my choir , Crowd Around, at a concert 'up the road' at Katoomba. Ostensibly organised as a farewell to choral work for our former musical director, Janet Swain, the show involved our good selves and Janets Sydney based choir, Cantorium, in two individual sets followed by a combined effort/finale.

Crowd are renowned for snatching performance defeat from the jaws of rehearsal victory (gosh, that's awful!) but this time, we were actually very good. Better than Cantorium, I think, whose choice of songs were a little twee. On balance though, they probably have the stronger singing talent, so it must just have been our big heartedness(surely, incredibly good luck - ed.). Together, we fairly blasted the ball room of the Carrington Hotel into the main street.

Of course, its not a competition, but no choir likes to look weak amongst its peers. It was a personal challenge for me, since I was doing a solo on 'My Girl'. Learning the words was taxing enough, but making the delivery seem effortless and a little jazzy (remembering that white men can't jump) was doubly so. But I seemed to pull it off. Tabun.

Crowd
have another gig this Saturday at which I am unable to perform though I will be in attendance. My wedding!

No comments: