Monday, March 09, 2009

autumn thoughts again

We are really in autumn now. The nights are cooler and there is that sense of decline about. Some of the leaves are beginning to turn, while others are just plain bailing out. A little early, in my estimation. Autumn is my favourite season, when the sun still has a kick but you know this is the final hoorah. And that somewhere else, it's warming up too.

About five years ago I wrote some autumn haiku in a letter to friends back home. And I thought,upon finding them again, that perhaps they were worth adding here.

thinking of home,
I storm the cupboards clutter
finding dry leaves

A couple written about autumnal life in and around Sandadani Park:

in the traffic,
leaves drown in puddles
veins upwards

and

old man shuffling,
this path bears the sandal marks
of summer's late stroll

There's something I love about haiku - perhaps the collision of brevity with deeper thought, or observation. Well not mine particularly, but certainly many that I have read.

No comments: