Thursday, March 12, 2009

whisperings

In Japan, I often played internet radio stations of various stripes, though the one I played most often was Whisperings Piano Radio. It was simply a lovely wallpaper for the lessons happening in the classroom, especially when my students were middle aged women. It seemed to make them more at ease and I wondered at the time whether certain kinds of music (in this case, gentle piano solos) had an influence on learning or learning outcomes.

More than likely it just relaxed them, or took away the moments of complete silence, when students were thinking of or in the process of forming sentences. Anyway, it was a popular addition to my teaching armoury.

Since getting a new laptop a couple of weeks ago, and having to knuckle down and study, I've taken to playing Whisperings again. And occasionally, perhaps because I'm on the free stream and there is a shorter play loop, I hear songs that used to shimmer and twinkle through the classroom doors in Mukogaoka. And then, well, memories and feelings coming flooding back. You know, sometimes it's quite overwhelming. Almost like I can taste Japan again.

No comments: