Friday, June 26, 2009

more assessments

Tomorrow I have the third of my counselling practical assessments in Parramatta. To be honest, I quite enjoy them. They challenge me. It's interesting too to be with people who have a similar orientation, by which I mean, there is a kind of commonality of ideas and attitudes amongst those of us studying this course. There is a particular outlook towards society, towards others, which is probably shared across a number of professions that are engaged in helping people. Don't get me wrong - I'm not blowing a trumpet for bleeding hearts. It's just that we aren't Wall Street or Corporate in nature.

Just a few points I want to jot down from my last prac. Our assessor suggested that we get the paraphrase in early. That the last thing in a client's list of problems is often the most important one. And that, when in doubt(such as one of those times when you don't really know what to say next), throw the situation back onto the client, with a "Tell me more about..." kind of question. Good advice from an experienced practitioner.

No comments: