Thursday, June 02, 2011



As mentioned in a previous blog, the new Hazelbrook pedestrian bridge across the Great Western Highway is proving to be somewhat controversial. It's growing on me daily though. It reminds me of the older style, steel-girder framed bridges that were popular before concrete became fashionable, though with a much lighter feel. Critics have referred to it, unfairly in my estimation, as penitential, or as an eyesore. It's all a matter of taste really. I like its rather industrial look too, sited as it is adjacent a railway line and across a major road. It makes a statement and might, if the surrounding areas are well-designed and developed, begin a new story for Hazelbrook.

I would rather that people joined in with the unfolding narrative, rather than indulge in negativity. There is way too much of that already, often for it's own sake. The re-jigged artists impression above is courtesy of the RTA's project documents section. Forza Hazelbrook!

No comments: