Friday, June 03, 2011

music arvo goes off

Years ago we started up having regular performance soirees, largely featuring (though not restricted to) members of our choir. Much like a blackboard event or open-mike night, anyone could get up and do anything, in a supportive environment. They petered out when Nadia and I began regular work trips to Japan and so, thinking the time right again, I organised a music afternoon.

I am pleased to say that it went off well. It wasn't a big turnout (around a dozen) but there was a surprisingly high standard and a variety of material. Nadia was the standout for me, for, biased as I am, I thought that her songs and general musicianship were exceptional. She says that she isn't ready for public performance yet, but I disagree. She says that her voice isn't distinctive, but I think that it is. She looks very much at home at the keyboard and she can only get better. As for my efforts, I finally completed a 'dark lullaby' for Tom, and performed it. Tom was too tied up with Hanna to hear its public debut, which is no matter. He was happily engaged and left us adults to our own devices.

We are already talking about the next one. That's pleasing, because there is nothing better than sharing a few songs, and glasses of wine, with friends.

No comments: