Thursday, January 21, 2016

Tom has been talking a lot of metaphysics lately. He may be only 9 (going on 10) but he is asking lots of questions. Is there a heaven or a hell? Does God really exist? Are people reincarnated when they die? What might an afterlife look like? How can I make sure I get there? And so forth.
Of course, he is asking the right person, because I have considered these and other mysteries since I was his age.

My best answer is that I don't know. There is no hard evidence for metaphysical phenomena, for this is the realm of the personal and the anecdotal. It is usually accessed by an act of faith (I quoted St Paul to him at the pool this morning) so, in the absence of actual events and experiences taking place and being subject to rigorous testing, that is where it will stay. But I am glad he is asking these questions because they speak to a depth of personality and a keener intelligence.

Some people try to equate a scientists work with religious faith, an absurdity that doesn't require a response. I read today that astronomers have calculated (though not actually observed) that a large planet may well exist outside the regular planetary zone, far beyond distant Neptune. The calculations are theoretical (by observing the behaviour of other distant objects, particularly dwarf planets) but open a tantalizing prospect for visual observers. Imagine, a giant planet in the depths of the Kuiper Belt, perhaps expelled in the ancient solar system by other giants! Something to replace the old Number 9, Pluto, something that would please Dr Sheldon Cooper.



No comments: