Sunday, July 17, 2016

On a lighter note, just back from taking Tom and his friend Eddie to Inflatable World at St Mary's. This is an attraction we have never been to before and this being the next to last day of the holidays, it was worth a shot. It is, as the name implies, a large room full of inflatable jumping castles and the like, holding the attention of two ten-year-olds for about 45 minutes. Thence we repaired to a nearby burger establishment for ice cream and sundries.

Thinking of places that that are labelled world, and there are many examples, I was transported back to Japan and my English classes at Nishiki Community Centre. I think I have mentioned before but teaching from fairly dull English readers and exercise books is not really my Tesol cup of tea, for I think learners study language better when the material is engaging and competently presented. So for these adult classes I invented a game in which I would weekly tell them about a curious place that visitors to Japan had remarked on and which found their way into the fictitious travel tome, 100 Strange Places To Visit In Japan. I would prepare the board with maps purporting to show the way to such local attractions as The Tallest Mobile Tower In Japan, Ant World and The Great Pacific War Experience, all within the realm of possibility, but unlikely. We had some lively discussions indeed!

Below, Tom leaps from an inflatable tower.





No comments: