Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Since leaving Japan 9 years ago one of the (many) things I have missed is the Grand Sumo Tournaments. Nightly on NHK, we would tune in for the bouts for the Makuuchi Division, these being the wrestlers in the top flight. I would usually be preparing dinner or awaiting the next class as the matches rolled along. For those not familiar with sumo, a bout can be over in a few seconds, so it pays to be attentive. Each match is complimented with ritual and the entire basho is steeped in Japanese tradition.

So you can imagine my delight when I found out that NHK on my cable provider was broadcasting the highlights of each day, in English and with slow motion replays. Woohoo! I have already watched the opening days of the Nagoya meet and have not been disappointed, though many of the wrestlers I knew at the time have retired. Not so Hakuho, who is dominating the proceedings like the champion he is!

The man himself-

No comments: