Friday, May 31, 2019

May comes to a close with an o'erhasty snap of unseasonably cold weather. This follows a period of unusually warm weather, so all of nature is confused. This morning a magpie swooped at me, which is at least three months too early! I turned to face the wayward bird, my face quizzical as if to say, "That is right out of order mister!"

Family-wise, Ann's daughter JJ has started to settle in, today being only her second day at an Australian high school. She will have a six month stint of intensive English before transferring to her local school at Springwood. I am less worried about her capacity to learn in this new environment than the culture shock that may ensue. You know already my thoughts on the decadence of what passes for popular culture nowadays, so I fret that she might find it all too much. But then again, Thai's seem to be fairly easy going.

But the family feels fuller now and Ann is happier. Tom and JJ, both being teens, take polite steps around each other, careful not to engage too much. I hope that they can become friends one day. Cross-cultural friendship has much to recommend it.

No comments: