Saturday, September 07, 2019

Massive and unseasonable winds continued through the night, worse in many places nearer the coast where thousands are now without power. There are lots of fallen trees about too, including a large branch from a callistemon by the side of our house. It had been looking somewhat precarious for a while, but the wild gales overnight provided the final push. The rest of the tree is healthy and should survive the weather, I hope.

Wind has a habit of driving many creatures to distraction. I remember as a teacher when windy days often meant that kids in my classes would be mildly unhinged, much harder to settle. Today it's the turn of the neighbourhood birds, who are frantically bombing each other, swooping rapidly from branch to bush to roof, as if drunk on the sheer energy of each gust. Of course, it being spring, they may have other motives. Meanwhile, on the washing line, the clothes are performing a kind of Danse Macabre.


Afternoon On A Hill

I will be the gladdest thing
Under the sun!
I will touch a hundred flowers
And not pick one.

I will look at cliffs and clouds
With quiet eyes,
Watch the wind bow down the grass,
And the grass rise.

And when lights begin to show
Up from the town,
I will mark which must be mine,
And then start down!


Edna St. Vincent Millay



No comments: