Saturday, October 05, 2019

Listening to podcasts occupies a lot of my walking for exercise and commuting time. The list of interesting topics is pretty much endless and I have alluded in previous posts to some of my favourites. Things come in and out of fashion and so does my capacity to listen for extended periods to any one genre. After splurging somewhat on political and historical material for a few years, I have recently turned to science podcasts. Lately I have also been listening to this kind of content on Youtube channels. A big shout-out is due to Isaac Arthur and John Michael Godier for the excellent work they do on their respective channels.

Specifically, I like those that find a kind of comfortable intersection between cosmology and the hypothetical, things that are within the realm of real science but also explore more exotic fields, places more liminal, if you like. I have in mind topics like the Fermi Paradox, Kardashev Civilisations, Dyson Spheres, Boltzmann Brains and so forth. While some of these cross over the boundary into science fiction, all have genuine roots in actual science, meaning that they have the potential to be possible, never mind the odds.

I confess that they can be difficult to understand. Most of the creators of this material are very, very smart people and while they target a general audience, being on one's best thinking behaviour is de riguer. There is no room for switching off. It is hard not to take a mental nap now and then because the material discussed can be difficult to process and retain. Even when I do understand it there is the problem of remembering. I have read at least a dozen times about the theory of Boltzmann Brains but I could not give you a coherent and detailed account of them now.

It is exciting to push yourself to the outer edge of your mental capacity. The pursuit of knowledge is a worthy goal in itself; it requires no justification, only the desire to know more before the lights eventually go out.

No comments: