Wednesday, March 04, 2020

I don't often sit through a half a dozen hours on one TV station, in fact it is very rare. But today I tuned into CNN and watched the results of the Super Tuesday election in the United States. They came in gradually and in between were vast gobs of political punditry, some of which was very good, though much was very repetitive. I guess that there is a limit on the quantity of original analysis that can be posited when the coverage is so fluid.

Anyway, I got my fix and was pleased to see Joe Biden do so well. It is a strange contest when the front-runners are men in their seventies who are vying for the right to challenge in a later contest with another man who is also in his seventies. The last-mentioned fellow shall remain nameless but you will know him from his nuclear-orange tan and many, many tweets.

It was because of his election and subsequent behaviour that I gave up listening to my regular weekly selection of politics podcasts about two years ago. I have only just gained the confidence to start listening again. American politics is very interesting and a reasonable surrogate for my occasional disengagement with the local political scene. The latter is just too depressing most of the time, hence my vicarious excursions into the American Big Top.

No comments: