Monday, June 20, 2022

Lately I have been attending a Catholic Church in the lower mountains as part of my return to faith. It might seem strange to any fellow protestant that I should want to do such a thing, but truthfully, much of the stuff I learnt about Roman Catholicism as a young Anglican is simply not true. Some people are still caught up in the heady days of the Reformation and its consequences. I guess that both sides are a little blinkered still by past controversies and animosities and that prejudice lingers, even after all this time.

Because I had a shift at 2RPH on Saturday, I couldn't attend my usual vigil mass at St Finbars and so decided to pop in to the local Presbyterian Church for a morning service. I am nothing if not ecumenical. If was very paired back, as you might imagine, but the core of belief is the same. Does it really matter all that much whether the eucharist is actual or symbolic, or that the Catholic Church allows tradition a place alongside scripture?

Ah, the wood and the trees!

No comments: