Thursday, November 17, 2022

I wrote about the sad demise of my 11 year old Kindle a few posts back. Nothing I tried could bring it back to life. Moreover, the fact that Amazon had ceased software support for that model meant that even sourcing a new battery, supposing that that was the problem, would be a false economy. So I have retired my dear friend after its wonderful service.

Very kindly, my wife stepped into the breach and bought me a new Kindle Paperwhite for an early Christmas present and I am here now to give a short review. It is different from my old Kindle in that it has no page buttons, is back-lit and has a white paper-style screen appearance, hence the name. The screen size is slightly bigger and the resolution of words is much clearer. All functions are controlled by the touch screen (a little slow to respond in my estimation) and the numerous easily and logically set out menu tabs make it a breeze to navigate.

So far there is nothing to dislike and much to commend it. I'll give an updated report further down the track. It will hard matching the longevity of the old model, but who knows. Much like my old analogue library, one becomes very attached to such a bearer of knowledge.

New on the left, old on the right.



No comments: