Friday, November 18, 2022

Some days I am clutzier than others. Today was one of those days. I dropped a litre of milk (loose lid!) and spent some time on my hands and knees mopping up the shallow sea on the kitchen floor while my cup of tea went cold. Just now I fell from a chair as I was pruning a branch (the chair broke under me!) and came inside for detol and bandages. Nothing serious, just a tumble in the bushes and a few cuts. Something else happened too but I have forgotten what it was. Nevertheless I am claiming it for the round of three unlucky things that can go wrong in one day.

I realise that these are small beer compared to the many people going through very difficult challenges in their lives all over the planet. Even in my hometown of Sydney, I encounter at least a dozen homeless people sleeping rough or begging for a gold coin every time I go into the city. It is impossible to know what got them there - plain bad luck, mental illness or some combination of adverse events and conditions. But it is confronting as it should be.

On another note altogether, the November Grand Sumo Tourney began on Sunday evening, all the way from Fukuoka. Terunofuji is kyujo for the duration, having had knee surgery recently. That leaves a bevy of upstarts and also-rans to contest the Emporers Cup. One or other of the ozeki might decide its time to fire up and win the thing but competition is strong from a few of the younger wrestlers who see their chance to break through. I can't predict a winner at the moment and I think it will go right down to the proverbial. Watch his space!

No comments: