Monday, January 02, 2023

My first post of 2023 is one that is quite considered. Last November I was confirmed as an adult in the Catholic Church, an event that I could not have predicted only a couple of years ago. But looking back I can see many signposts on that road that point, almost inevitably, to the destination I reached only two months ago. With God there are no mistake and this journey was no mistake.

If you are not a believer then that's okay, just bear with me. I come from an Anglican background, having been a convertee at the Billy Graham Crusade in Sydney in 1979. (Boy, do I owe that man!) I drifted away from the church as a young adult, caught up in the illusion of happiness outside of faith, a beguiling illusion indeed. Even at the time I knew that there was a price to pay for such foolishness.

Forty years later and I knew that something had to give. I had received an unknown number of "taps on the shoulder" and finally early last year I was stopped in my tracks. As the dust began to clear, there in front of me, to my incredulity, was the Roman Catholic Church. Seven months later I was making public vows before a congregation in Glenbrook. I have no doubt that God had spoken.

Life is funny, don't you think? And faith is a difficult thing, but it will come, if you want it to. And I do.




No comments: