Thursday, February 09, 2023

I have been knocking around with computers on one level or another since the 1980's. I realise that still brings me rather late to the game. My earliest experiences were, as a member of staff, we were 'introduced' to some early iterations of the personal computer, such as the Apple 2e or an IBM equivalent. They didn't seem to able to do very much at that time, though we recognised the enormous potential that was embedded in the technology.

Fast forward to 1995, when Windows 95 was being touted as the greatest thing ever and the internet was becoming a 'thing', as they say. One afternoon after work I walked down to a 'supercomputer' shop and lashed out for an early Pentium machine - a huge CPU tower with a bulky monitor, for an astonishing sum of money. I could have bought a modest used car for the same amount. 

A week or so later  I was typing coded language (given to me by my local internet provider) into the computer to establish a dial-up link. I'm surprised at how well I did and equally surprised now that I actually had to do it, since the text was complicated and unintuitive. My first connection, accompanied by that whistling dial-up sound, was a personal victory of sorts.

My how times change. Plug and play, instant access, point and click. I don't yearn for the old stuff back. But I'm glad I came through the process, the better to appreciate where we now are.

Below. An Apple 2e and a mid-90's desktop PC.





No comments: