Sunday, May 21, 2023

While sitting on the bus yesterday, as it wended its way up Glebe Point Rd, I noticed for the first time (which means I was finally paying attention!) a series of signs that spoke eloquently to the Australian Condition.

First, there was a billboard about 'footy', closely followed by two large shops signs for 'Vinnies' and 'Salvos', then a smaller grocery marker for 'avos' (3 for $5!). 

I could go on but I think you get the picture. Australian are the biggest users of the diminutive in the world, as best I know. Over 4300 have been officially recorded and there are many others floating about or in the process of being created.

Consider that the previous PM was called ScoMo, that another PM was obsessed with 'selfies' and that the current PM can talk about Tassie (and his nickname is Albo!) and you might understand how deep this process has penetrated the Australian psyche. 

It probably indicates a chronic desire to be friendly and casual, to get along, to be part of the vernacular crowd. It's entirely harmless, unlike swearing, and while I rarely use the diminutive outside a few words here and there, I often find it comforting and amusing.

Just don't ask me to hold a barbie, cook up a lot of snags and bung them in a sanga. Nor should you expect me to crack a coldie from the esky, or play any Acca/Dacca. Those kinds of things will send me troppo, so much so that I might even start wearing a flannie or two.

No comments: