Monday, January 01, 2024

Well it's the first day of the new year and all seems very much the same. I am still alone in my house, my wife and step-daughter being overseas and my son Tom, busy elsewhere. It's drizzly and cool outside as it was yesterday. The fireworks at 9pm on the TV from the harbour remind me of every other year and commentators continue talking about revellers. That's a word that only seems to come out once a year.

I was looking over some vintage Christmas and New Year's card covers online and found quite a lot that would be best be described as bizarre. The Victorians were especially good at the portraying the macabre, or hinting at it. I suppose it gave them a good laugh and likely only people with money could afford to buy and send cards anyway. 

The one below (which I think I may have published before as part of a series) sends a cautionary message to the receiver about imbibing too much in the festive season. It's a shame to see a poor robin belly up in a bowl of punch and yet another stonking drunk, even as a cat watches in glee.

But Happy New Year anyway!




No comments: