Tuesday, January 30, 2024

Sometime during the Covid pandemic people began shifting from cash sales to digital transfers. It's understandable that such a change would occur in the circumstances, but the trend has only hastened since. There are even banks now that do not dispense cash through their tellers!

There are unintended consequences for changes in behaviour like this, not obvious at first. In the past many of the  gold coins ($1 and $2) I had on me found their way into the buckets of buskers or the cups of the homeless. Now when I approach someone, I realise that I don't have the change I used to, resorting instead to an unwieldy pile of 10 cent pieces from a collection at home.

One day that will run out too. I am wondering what all the 'spare change' folks are going to do in the medium term, not to mention the many boxes and donation stands that call for a small contribution in actual money? Card readers are likely expensive and impractical. I am troubled just thinking about it.

No comments: