Friday, October 04, 2024

Forgiveness is never an easy thing. No matter what the offence, how great or little, pride of one sort or another drives us to hold on to slights and grudges. In some cases, the offending party is entirely unaware of what they have done, or alleged to have done. But there is no doubt that unforgiveness leads to bitterness and resentment, an emotional boomerang that hurts the one who is unforgiving. We all struggle with this, me no less than anyone else. I think that forgiveness needs to be a daily practice.

In the following poem, Welsh poet RS Thomas 'forgives' his parents for the circumstances of his upbringing. But he also realises that it is not their fault - they did their best and were not responsible for the nature of the 'drab town' nor the deleterious effects that being raised there had on his mind. It was just where they lived and they did their best. Perhaps there is even a tinge of guilt, on the poet's part, for the way he feels, in the final verse.

Sorry
Dear parents,
I forgive you my life,
Begotten in a drab town,
The intention was good;
Passing the street now,
I see still the remains of sunlight.

It was not the bone buckled;
You gave me enough food
To renew myself.
It was the mind's weight
Kept me bent, as I grew tall.

It was not your fault.
What should have gone on,
Arrow aimed from a tried bow
At a tried target, has turned back,
Wounding itself
With questions you had not asked.

No comments: