Tuesday, October 08, 2024

We had the changeover to daylight saving two days ago, giving us darker mornings and lighter evenings. I used to love this period as a kid because we could play outside after dinner, the light not fading until about 8pm. There were no screens in sight as we kicked balls, rode bikes or had a game of impromptu cricket in the park at the end of the street.

This is not a criticism of technology per se, but the overuse of devices to the exclusion of other healthier pursuits. I faced similar criticism viz a viz television and playing records, but really these are hardly comparable. As I said. we were outside playing most of the time. Entertainments inside took a long second place.

This morning a group of birds were noisily protesting something at the front to the garden. It's a very different sound to that of ordinary bird chatter, more a pointed, squawky, 'get outta here' variety. Sure enough, my wife said that she saw a small possum being assailed by birds as it navigated some trees in the garden.

It is very unusual for an Australian possum to be out and about so late and I found it hunching on a tree branch. I will keep an eye on it because the poor thing may be sick or disoriented, in which case a call to WIRES will be in order. But I do hope that it can make its way home.

No comments: