Tuesday, October 01, 2024

The first day of October and the weather seems to be paying attention. It's sunny and quite warm. In the background is a sea of cicada sound, their brief above-ground existence this all-encompassing symphony.

Today I'm off to the radio station in Glebe to host Features Forum, our daily selection of commentary and such like from the four Sydney daily newspapers. The format tends to get a little bogged down in politics and economics related material, somewhat hard to digest if it fills the whole 90 minutes. I try to encourage a wider range to include reviews and some lighter pieces to soften the serious journalism that is inevitably our lot, but it is not always possible.

On Saturday last I bought one of Pat's fabulous boiled fruit cakes from the Red Cross stall at Hazelbrook. It's pot-luck when they will next be there - usually every three months - so I am delighted when I do stumble across their cheery tables outside the pharmacy. Even happier when I see that there are still some cakes left, because Pat's fare sells quickly.

The Red Cross ladies are getting older and older. I wonder who will fill their shoes and generous spirits when that time comes?

No comments: