Wednesday, September 15, 2010

positive parenting 2

Last night I was the only guy at the follow up to 'Boys and Their Emotions', 'Remedies For Successful Parenting'. That's fine, I suppose, though it would have been encouraging to see more dads investing in their families emotional life.

For me, it was a double-purposed event. Anything that helps with the difficult task of raising children is most welcome. I liked, for example, the idea passed on by one of the facilitators, of using 'growing up/growing down' language to encourage kids to move towards more positive ways of behaving.

It was also useful for me to see the work of two experienced co-facilitators on the night, especially so as I had only just finished a section of this very topic (part of my Diploma of Counselling) that day. A welcome co-incidence.

Today is a little more like a spring day, the sun is out and there is even a fly buzzing somewhere behind my ear. This morning we took Tom to Hazelbrook PS for an Open Day, prior to his commencing a Good Start program. Fancy, starting school next year! Things will be a little different around our house in 2011, I think.

No comments: