Wednesday, September 22, 2010

the santa conundrum

Tom is already quite skeptical about things that might be construed as metaphysical or supernatural. He has told me with what seems like a high degree of certainty that there is no Devil, he is dubious about angels, ghosts and monsters. He has made pronouncements on the finality of death. Thus far Santa seems to be have escaped this critical analysis and I suspect that self-interest may be a factor. Santa is undoubtedly a part of the gravy train, an aspect, perhaps, of middle-class welfare.

Tom has asked me about the mechanics of the 'Santa system' and I have had to cobble together explanations that seem to fit the boundless curiosity of a 4 year old, while remaining consistent with the wider implications of globalisation. How, for example, does our reporting of his (Tom's) behaviour to Santa's agents (with whom all parents have formal meetings from time to time) accord with the quantity of gifts due? Where do we (mum and dad) fit into the system, for surely Santa cannot bear the total cost of making a world-wide cache of presents?

My best efforts are still flawed and will be picked to pieces in coming years. Basically, I have argued that, yes, Santa is very philanthropic but does indeed require assistance. Parents and gift-givers pay for the cost of the raw materials and Santa value adds with the help of a vast team of tireless elves in a modern, high-productivity workshop. The latter are, of course, unionised, but work happily in tandem with Santa and have rarely been known to strike.

And as I write this, Tom is thumbing through toy catalogues and preparing to ask difficult questions. I like the challenge. I just have to remember my own answers!

No comments: