Sunday, September 10, 2017

A year ago to this day, Ann and I were married. We had a simple ceremony in the backyard of a friend, then a decent lunch at the local Thai restaurant. For once, I wore a suit with my shirt tucked in. Ann looked beautiful in a traditional Thai wedding dress.

A year later and we are happily married. This is not to say that we don't disagree or that at times there are some very odd cultural misunderstandings. I do my best to unravel these and keep the peace, but it is difficult. I feel like an explorer in a world of objects and symbols that I cannot recognise. A day or two later, it all blows over and we are back to normal again.

Some things don't change, strangely enough. Accepting what is part of one's lot is a journey in which the smooth sailing of our hopes is constantly dashed by the reality of our days.

But I am nevertheless, a lucky man, to have found such a woman as Ann.









No comments: