Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Ann has been using a pedometer app on her phone at work for a while now and she encouraged me to do the same. Every day I walk once or twice whilst listening to podcasts, so it seemed like a harmless enough thing to do. But I was a little sceptical about how accurate these kinds of measures are and not wanting to be deceived, put my newly downloaded app to the test. Yes, this is an exceedingly nerdy and quite boring thing to do, but my mind is usually restless until some kind of measurement of some thing is done.

So I dragged out my old pedometer, the one that Anglicare had encouraged us to buy and use. I replaced the battery and clipped it to my side this morning. In my pocket was my iPod, with both the app and the device set to zero. Off I went on one of my regular walks, the one that takes me past the local Steiner School and a short way into the National Park. When I got home I compared the two readings and here is the result.



I have to say, I was a little impressed. The 11 steps difference was well within the margin of error. In addition, the older style pedometer tended to click over every time it was moved, being somewhat trigger-happy. So, sitting down to tie my laces and then getting up again would register two steps. Just clipping it on and off my belt was another two steps, making the results almost dead even.

Boy, I must get a life someday!

No comments: