Thursday, September 14, 2017

Many people struggle with anxiety and a fair percentage of the population carry it with them every day. Anxiety can become a problem when it is chronic or when it comes on in such a way that it can lead to panic. I simplify the matter here but the gist is true. It is particularly devastating for the seriously afflicted because it appears, to others, as an invisible illness for which the remedy is simple. How often have people been told to pull up their socks and get on with it or any number of similar formulations? This is, of course, exactly what those with anxiety disorders would dearly love to do, but the bewilderment and fear that can take hold of a person preclude any such course of action. Anxiety of this magnitude freezes a person in time and space. They are stuck, wondering where their old self has gone and counting the days since their descent into the maelstrom.

I had an anxiety disorder in the 1980's and it took me a few years to work out what was happening. Doctors appeared to have no idea what was wrong with me and the only psychiatrist I saw wanted to offer psychoanalysis (wholly ineffectual) and valium. Finally I ran into a GP who, after interviewing me about my condition, gave me a copy of Self-Help For Your Nerves by the late Dr Claire Weekes. I read this book over many times and it spoke directly to me. I understood what was wrong and how I could fix it. I have read elsewhere and often that this precious tome saved lives as I know it saved mine. There was a time when I thought I would not make thirty, so I have Dr Weekes to thank for every day and every year since. Just the mention of her name brings a sense of deep gratitude to my heart.

This is not to say that I am cured of anxiety. It still plays a part in my life and causes me significant trouble at times. I pull out Self-Help every so often and reread the important chapters. But I am never so afflicted as I was some thirty years ago and I know where help lies, should I need it. If you are an anxiety sufferer, and your anxiety is disrupting your life, then please read this book.



No comments: