Monday, March 08, 2021

After a long hiatus that needs no explanation, I will finally return to a live choir rehearsal tonight. I think my last outing was around late March or early April, 2020. These were followed by months of tepid Zoom rehearsals, which, while they meant I could stay home and grab a cuppa when I wanted to, lacked the immediacy and camaraderie that live singing entails. Still, it was Zoom or nothing and fortunately Zoom won out.

I have written before about how choir membership changed the direction of my life, offering up as a bonus, relationships, travel and work that I could never have foreseen. I didn't join my first choir almost 30 years ago with these benefits in mind - no, I just wanted to sing. I hadn't done so in a chorus since primary school. Most of the time I have sung as a tenor but the dearth of male singers in acapella groups have pushed all the men into the realm of the basses, mores the pity.

I have been thinking lately about joining a chamber choir as I'd really like to sing that kind of music, or at least have a crack at it. Perhaps such a group will hove into view soon and maybe I will get my chance.

No comments: