Tuesday, October 26, 2021

Every so often I notice that my thoughts have become far too inward for far too long a time and I reach for those books I studied during my counselling diploma. I usually settle for a combination of CBT and ACT, which, while they employ different methods (broadly speaking, one to rectify, the other to 'let be') are more like cousins. I take wisdom from both and hopefully use it to ease my overburdened mind.

I have always had mild health anxiety (formerly known as hypochondria) which has been compensated for in a host of ways, but occasionally I allow myself to be drawn into thinking too deeply. That way is madness. 

So today I'm back into reading up on cognitive distortions and ways to diffuse unwanted thoughts and feelings, which is a kind of marriage of the two systems I mentioned above. Whatever works, keep using it. 

For anyone wondering, there are plenty of resources for self-study and application on both CBT and ACT, and all the others too. I was trained to work in an integrated way across the spectrum of therapies, which makes sense. There are gems everywhere if you care to look.

No comments: