Thursday, October 07, 2021

I often read posts from Brainpickings, a site that promotes informed writing about people and subjects. Today I was reading an excellent piece on writer and poet May Sarton, who, like many great writers, suffered from depression. The article was focussed on her book, Journal of a Solitude.

Notwithstanding the fact that her affliction seemed to make her a better writer (which echoes in some ways Camus's assertion that "there is no love of life without despair of life") she was quoted as having written, that we live in "an age where more and more human beings are caught up in lives where fewer and fewer inward decisions can be made, where fewer and fewer real choices exist." 

It struck me that this comment, written over forty years ago, has been proven correct over and over again since that time. If anything, the situation is more grim, with so-called connectedness through social media and technology leaving little time for interior dialogue or reflection.

Ann thinks that I think too much. I guess I do, but I cannot do otherwise.

No comments: