Saturday, October 02, 2021

Yesterday I took JJ to the city to get her first moderna jab. The vast distance travelled became a necessity because my wife wanted her done as soon as possible and most of the local appointments had long wait times. 

It was my first trip to the CBD in months, not since the last shift at 2RPH, and it was eerily quiet. Few shops were open and fewer people in evidence - one might shoot a gun in the once busy thoroughfares without any risk of injury.

An emptied-out city offers different perspectives though. Unpeopled streets and arcades drive ones attention elsewhere - the shape of a window, the jut of a stair, the chairs and tables in unmoving mute conversation.

The closure of food courts and lunch spots also reduced my choices for hirugohan. Once I had finally found something, there was the challenge of locating a legal place to sit. After much stumbling about I did find somewhere in the open, and with my mask gingerly pushed to one side, took this picture. Ordinarily, this stretch of George Street on a Friday would be thronging.




No comments: