Friday, July 21, 2023

 Even with my dim and hazy memory, some things can be recalled, or apparently so. The FIFA Women's World Cup being held in Australia and New Zealand, which began last night with victories to both of the host nations, was one such spur to memory. I admit that I am helped in this matter by my old friend Wayne, who seamlessly fills in the gaps for me without ever realizing it.

Cromer Park, Manly Vale, probably 1976. Wayne and I, having been soccer tragics in every other respect, were now officiating at women's matches. The procedure at the beginning of most games for the men was to check boot studs, toss a coin and call for a fair match from both sides. This was the same for the women, except that nails and jewellery were also subject to scrutiny - long nails taped over, chains and bracelets removed. This was important for obvious reasons but also, as a number of players confided in me, the ladies could be very rough if they wanted to. No point in handing them supplementary weapons!

It seems like an eternity away, those deep, deep soccer days when everything was the game or some aspect of it. I do miss them sometimes, but still am a happy spectator and lover of the code.

Go the Matilda's!


No comments: