Sunday, July 16, 2023

Working on programs that are live to air on radio is an interesting experience. Firstly, there is no chance to undo your mistakes, whether they be to do with the reading/presenting task at hand or others that are of technical nature. There are lots of buttons on the control panel and quite a lot of sliders too, and an unnoticed button left on or off can have a dramatic effect on what what is broadcast or what you perceive to be broadcast. I learned very quickly that a 'split cue' button doubled with another can ensure that you hear nothing that is being broadcast, even if it is all going smoothly. And because its live, panic can quickly set in. All one can do is apologize and move on.

My time as presenter of The New Statesman at 2RPH appears to be coming to a close for reasons too complex to explain, but primarily because I have my own show in pilot stage. If it's approved I will not have time to juggle three different recording tasks and do live to air broadcasts as well. I've had this concept in my head for months and its beginning to take shape. It won't be until I have had a run of half a dozen programs that I will know if its truly sustainable, though I think it is.

Stay tuned for more on this topic!

No comments: