Thursday, October 19, 2023

I have often told Tom that team sport is one of those places where one can learn to develop aspects of character and co-operation that are rarely learnt elsewhere, or in the same way. I played soccer for about ten seasons from the late 1960's, firstly for Forest, then Killarney Heights Soccer Club. The experience was important, indeed seminal for me, in many ways.

At best I was a very average team player and it took me a while to develop confidence, for which I can thank a couple of inspiring coaches. If you are lucky enough to have a good motivator as a coach, then you are lucky indeed. It can make the difference between being average and playing okay from week to week, or being average and turning in a blinder more often than your actual talent should permit.

My memories of at least part of my playing time are hazy at best but now and then I get a little shove and things hove into view again, as if just yesterday. And so it was that a photo posted on Australian Football History on FB, which showed a Manly-Warringah side from the late 60's and featuring none other than Gordon Nutt, came to my attention. Gordon was my coach somewhere in the '70's (I think the Under 16's), and he was one of those inspirations I mentioned as a coach. At the time I don't recall that we knew much about him, but he had played for Arsenal in the old English Division One before emigrating to Australia. Which is impressive.

Gordon is top row on the far left of the shot.



No comments: