Friday, October 13, 2023

Scammers are getting better and better at what they do, for the most part. I come across them from time to time on Facebook, the only social media platform that I have any connection with. I have a lot of Asian 'friends' because of my wife, and its common to get requests from friends of acquaintances of family members, if you get my drift.

So it was a few days ago when a woman, fairly typical of those making FB requests, asked to be a friend. A mid-thirties Singaporean who lived in LA (and sometimes in Sydney, as it turned out) her profile seemed legit at first glance, though I didn't probe it deeply. 

But things took off from there rather too quickly, the first 'red flag', if you like. She was persistent about wanting to chat on FB Messenger. I took my time, suspecting a scammer. When we did engage, she gave a very plausible account of herself, seeming sincere and well-intentioned. Actually, quite likeable. But at the end of that first chat, she asked if I could go off FB to another social media app. Second red flag.

I politely refused the request, not being interested in having any more social media accounts and, to her credit, she accepted it graciously. But the second chat raised a third red flag, inconsistent English (a sign that a team was at work) and misnaming me 'Anthony' in one response.

She sent me a picture of her dinner later on, which was nice. I can't blame 'her' for trying. I just hope that that the dozens, perhaps hundreds of men out there she is chatting to are as cautious as I am.

No comments: