Friday, September 20, 2024

Like many kids 'back in the day', my family had a healthy collection of Little Golden Books. I can't remember all the titles but the covers often leap to mind. The artwork of illustrator Tibor Gergely was so striking that I can picture the volumes long before recalling the titles.

The other day I bought my first ever, second-hand Little Golden Book. I had been haunted by the cover illustration of The Taxi That Hurried since it had popped inadvertently onto my computer screen a week or two ago. The image of the yellow cab on two wheels being halted by a policeman was worth the few dollars I paid.

Some of the stories are undoubtedly dated now, the vast sophistication of the modern era always knowing better. I may buy others too, contrarian that I am.



No comments: