Monday, September 30, 2024

 Yesterday I went again to Wat Buddharangsee in Annandale with Ann. I have been quite often in the past, sitting through a Thai Buddhist liturgy and then sharing a common meal in the adjacent hall. The centre supplies an English language version of the Thai/Pali script, so I can follow along and even chant if that takes my fancy.

These days I go with a somewhat different lens on what unfolds before me, having returned to Christianity two years ago. This is not a superior or critical view, but one which is both interested and engaged. I have had opportunities to become a buddhist in the past, but I realised on all occasions that it was not the right fit for me. It would not have worked at a deeper psychological level.

There are certainly similarities between how the two faiths see the problems of existence. Death, suffering, loss, pain, disappointment, sorrow and so forth are common aspects of life. We can't avoid them. Buddhism argues for a casting off of all attachments to the world, Christianity demands for a surrender to God. Both are giving up, letting go of. 

I have made my choice and I am happy with it, though any faith is a daily commitment. Facing life without such a window on the world and eternity is a tough ask indeed.



No comments: