Monday, September 23, 2024

The new Metro line in Sydney, the extension of which recently opened, is a surprisingly worthwhile addition to public transport structure of the city. I have been on bits and pieces of it since its first iteration a few years ago. On that occasion I took the train from one terminus (Tallawong) to Castle Hill. It was very impressive.

Since the opening of the extension from Chatswood to Sydenham, I have made time to make some short side trips, all for no apparent reason, though yesterday Ann and I went on to Chatswood. In the parlance, we alighted at said station so she could investigate a Thai shop in the Mandarin Centre.

I confess to being a little nervous on crossing under the harbour - thinking of the volume of water above us - but all went well. As for Chatswood, it is simply a different place to one I used to frequent in the 1970's and 1980's. Tower blocks, shopping malls, new pedestrian plazas, I could see nothing that had not been changed so maybe it should have a new name too.

The map below shows the existing and future Metro lines.



No comments: