Monday, August 10, 2015

Last week I tendered my resignation to Anglicare after four years of work as a Emergency Relief volunteer worker. There are few times in my life when I felt that a job - even one that does not pay - has fitted my temperament and experience so well. It is rare to be lost so deeply in work that the sense of self disappears and what is real is the moment of engagement itself. This wasn't always the case of course - that perfect world just doesn't exist - but it often came close and when it did is was profoundly satisfying.

Cafe de Warehouse - Anglicare's Friday morning cafe in support of sustainable living - was also a great pleasure. I enjoyed being a musician - developing and practising a repertoire - and the challenge of doing so was just what I needed at a time when my marriage was breaking apart. I have always wanted to be a cafe singer and thanks to the encouragement of my cafe buddies Penny and Hazel, I could. It was a blessing.

Departing is sad but I cannot change the tide of forces that entrench injustices. I prefer to focus on how good the ride was and how surprising the view is from the top of the hill.

No comments: