Friday, September 02, 2022

My wife and her daughter often engage in an animated conversation, in Thai, of course. I thought that it was likely they were talking about the day's events, or odd Western cultural quirks, or even a movie or show they had seen and liked.

But no, every time I have asked, the answer is always the same. Food. They talk about food - recipes they have seen on the internet, things they would like to eat, restaurants they would like to visit.

I thought at first I might be the butt of a mutually-shared joke, or a kind of mind-your-own-business diversion. But no, they really are just talking about food. Every time.

I find the topic of food something that might be worthy of five minutes discussion, rarely to be repeated. I guess that I'm missing something!

No comments: