Wednesday, September 21, 2022

 Acres of print has been spilled on the passing of Queen Elizabeth II and the subsequent state funeral on Monday. Like countless others I watched until I grew too sleepy, then caught up with most of what I missed the following morning. No matter what your sentiments on monarchy, it was a magnificent occasion, something which the British seem to pull off effortlessly. I especially liked the service at Westminster Abbey, the hymns, music, prayers and homily often achieving a heartfelt and genuine beauty that transcended even the occasion itself.

Australia, for those who don't know, is a constitutional monarchy, with the powers of the distant King or Queen devolved to an appointed Governor-General. The GG is largely a figurehead. It is understood that the elected government in Canberra calls all the shots, though the GG does in theory have considerable power. The system has worked well with the exception of the constitutional crisis in 1975, when a wiser and cooler head than Kerr would have led to a better outcome.

I am not a monarchist and at best, I am a coy republican. I can see the value of an appointed head of state though I would prefer that constitutional issues were entirely the purvey of the High Court. A republic is currently off the table in Australia, given the groundswell of feeling for the late Queen. The time may come one day but there is no need to be in a hurry. 

No comments: