Thursday, October 13, 2022

My son Tom has been doing his HSC exams this week, which are split over Years 11 and 12. As part of his revision of English, he wanted to watch again the Australian movie 'The Castle' which is a part of the curriculum he has been studying.

I hadn't seen this movie in 20 years at least and retained a very fond memory or it, particularly since it was the brain child of some of my favourite comedians. I had forgotten just how funny it was, not merely in the witty script, but the clever sight gags and many incongruous juxtapositions. A non-Australian audience might find it completely bamboozling and some of a post-modern ilk may find it offensive. Well, dream on. 

I remember when I first saw 'The Castle' at Glenbrook cinema way back in 1997. The audience laughed their way through it and cheered the 'little man' on as he took on the establishment. At the end they rose to their feet and applauded, a rare sight these days.

Funny and with heart. Five stars.

No comments: