Saturday, August 19, 2023

 Lately I have been reading a few articles that deal with the potential for the collapse of human civilisation. Such speculation, based upon the methodical collection of data and computer modelling, goes back to the 1970's. It is not based upon any one event (such a climate change), but the confluence of a series of events that have predictable though likely unforeseen consequences too.

In the most optimistic evaluation, humans adapt to the warming climate, get a handle on population growth, are able to increase the yield of food production and throw technological advances at sundry and other problems. We avoid nuclear and biological war, overly fatal pestilences and an AI takeover. This is indeed optimistic.

All other potential outcomes are downhill from there, from complete extinction to a return to a kind of stone age existence. Most writers think, as I do too, that the gravity of the situation is not understood and may never be understood, even when the writing is plainly on the wall. Denial is a powerful psychological phenomena and we are very good at self-deception.

I don't talk about this with the teenagers because I don't want them to fall into a torpor of 'why botherism.' Why crush them just when they are getting started?

As for me, I can see no solution to what is ultimately a problem of the human condition, except in God alone. Religion is declining at a time when a powerful spiritual awakening is needed, but very few believe that anyway. For my family, I take up this burden as best I can.



No comments: