Sunday, May 20, 2012

We have an active and very committed Refugee Support Group in the Blue Mountains. I know that they work hard and with great perseverance to help all kinds of refugees who find themselves in detention. Ever since the politicization of "boat people" by the Howard Government a decade ago, any sensible debate on how to fairly and humanely treat refugees has taken second place to rabid scaremongering and misinformation. And still, these dedicated people offer kindness and hope to people whose only mistake was to crave a better life.

Last night the support group hosted a fundraising night for refugees, with musicians giving their time and support, pro bono. I went, but it was a difficult thing to do, because I was going alone. I don't know how to put it, but appearing social events in my own community is fraught with anxiety. There are fears of being looked at, talked about, pitied. Of course, these are only fears that I project onto others. It's all in my mind.

But I did go and enjoyed myself. I think I was even a little bit courageous in doing so, but if I don't step out in faith, then I'll likely wither at home. And frankly, I think that I still have too much to offer to do that.

The bands were great, the organizers, angels. Thanks to everyone involved.

No comments: