Friday, August 09, 2024

My dear mum has been ailing for some time now. Doctors seem to be in agreement that her body at 95 years is and will continue to be in a constant state of deterioration and that little can be done. Rehabilitation is pointless and may actually make matters worse. The miracle is that she has made it so far and continues to wake up every day. Her life now is very difficult, dependent on carers, medicines and a stoic determination to stay alive.

I guess that this is one of the reasons I searched for and found one of her favourite recordings - one that I've heard played dozens of time. Antonio Carlos Jobim's 'The Composer of Desafinado, Plays', a near legendary Verve recording from the early 1960's, was an accompaniment to many of my teenage years. Mum would put it on the record player whenever she was in a gloomy mood, most often due to an ongoing unhappy marriage. Latin music and Frank Sinatra were the bookends to that time.

I located a CD copy of the album online and ordered it today. It's a Japanese pressing so the purchase dove tails two great loves together. Sure, I can play the same album on Spotify anytime, but I'd like to be able to take it to 2RPH and play it there now and then. It will be a tribute of sorts, even if I am the only one who knows why.

No comments: