Tuesday, August 13, 2024

We have a problem with birds flying into a particular window. Clearly they can see the other side but not that there is a glass pane in between. It is mainly lorikeets that run this gauntlet. Today, a crimson variety smacked hard against the glass as it made its way from front to back garden. 

Usually I monitor the bird for about 30 minutes, by which time it has regained its bearings and is ready to take flight. Today, the crimson lorikeet sat for a good two hours and I thought that it may have damaged either a wing of its spine. I was on the phone to WIRES when it suddenly took flight, to my great relief.

The window now has a temporary opaque obstruction erected in the centre of the pane that should do the trick until I can find something a little more artistic to put there. I hate to see native creatures in pain or distress and I hope that any future impacts can be avoided. The fix is ungainly but that is better than the alternative. After all, we are here as stewards, not conquerors.

No comments: